As a church fellowship we are pleased to support the work of Starfish Malawi. Our link with the charity is Chris Knott who founded it in 2003, after he received an unsolicited letter asking him if he would like to help build a church in Malawi. Having never been to Malawi, Chris wrote back tentatively, but he later made the decision to visit Malawi. Within a year of this trip Chris had sold his insurance business and committed his life to the land of Malawi.
Starfish Malawi was born through the support of 25 dedicated followers who were inspired to make a difference. The charity has grown since then and now has over 1,500 supporters, a team of 16 in the UK and a staff team of 14 in Malawi. Starfish Malawi is a Christian organisation seeking to make a difference in education, vocational training, and health awareness by helping to build the Kingdom of God in the lives of children.
The charity has various projects which are supported from the UK, which are all centred on helping the children and their communities, to be given a better future. Starfish facilitate resources such as building classrooms, toilet blocks and nursery schools, but also provide the finance to enable better healthcare, education and wellbeing.
The projects include:
- Secondary School Student sponsorship – enabling children to complete their secondary education
- Schools Linking – Links schools in the UK and Malawi through educational partnerships
- Bible Explorer – Helping children understand the Bible, in a fun and interactive way
- Gateway – Training women to make reusable sanitary kits for girls so they can stay in school when they have their period.
- Glad Tidings – Provision of health, nursery education and safeguarding services for over 400 children
- Children’s Clubs – Support for children, Bible teaching, sports, art and advice on practical living
- Pastor Resources Libraries – Assisting pastors to have resources for theological study
- Health Clinic – A free out-patients clinic serving adults and children from local villages.
For more info:
Much more information about the work of Starfish can be found on their website www.starfishmalawi.com which also has a “Join Us” form for you to be added to their mailing list.
We believe that trusting in Jesus Christ is the answer to all human needs
We believe and know Jesus Christ can radically change people
We believe the words of Jesus who said: “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him will not perish but have everlasting life” (John 3 vs.16)
We believe because this truth has changed our lives for the better